1.27 Week1 Note
3D printting was inventing in 1980s
Computers controlling machine dates back to the 50s
- Casual meaning: a computer controls a machine and makes stuff. I give you data and you make a thing
- Deeper meaning: digitizing the fabrication processes; digitizing the materials themselves. I give you data and data becomes the thing
The road map:
- 1.0: computers control machines
- 2.0: use machines to make machines (we're here)
- 3.0: put codes in materials
- 4.0: put programs in materials
Modular machines that Make Project
So, the goal is to make machine that makes machine!
Usually, we have different tools for the whole process.
Prof. Gershenfeld are writing a bowser-based tool to merge all of those.
Today we are at the birth of internet of real things. Digitizing fabrication with codes and construction.
The goal of a Fab lab is to make itself obsolete.
project management principles
demand- vs supply-side time management
Supply-side is you decide in advance how you going to spend your time. Plan your time in advance.
serial vs parallel development
MVP. Build the minimum viable prototype at the very beginning. Then make spiral improvement
bottom-up vs top-down debugging
Start from a little thing that works and then add parts. Develop parts separately and then aggregate them.
Files should less than 10M.
- Pick a potential final project
- Go through different web development tools
- Learn git and push to your website